- Are you willing to be constructive, compromise, and resolve the issue at hand fairly? Mediation only works when everyone is willing and able to participate without arguing, fighting, or standing their ground.
- Are you able to contact the other parties involved? If you can’t get everyone to agree to mediation, it might not turn out to be the right solution.
- Mediation is informal. Is this the right process for your legal needs? Sometimes, the creative and flexible nature of this process isn’t right for everyone.
- Are you looking to resolve your issues quickly? Mediation is more affordable and takes less time than litigation.
- Are you open to new ideas or willing to make sacrifices for the sake of resolution? If you are stuck to the same ideas or going to argue with everyone to get your way, this might not work for you.
- Do you want to “win” or simply resolve the dispute? People who are “in it to win it” don’t fare well in this setting. You need to change your attitude or change your legal approach.
Contact a Mediator