Theo Claypoole chairs the firm’s Business Practice Group. Theo represents companies of all sizes in all stages of development ranging from formation, financing, mergers and acquisitions, to corporate governance and day-to-day general business and operational matters. His clients are involved in a wide variety of industries, a sampling of which includes commercial and residential real estate, automotive, industrial/manufacturing and financial services.
A lawyer, business professional, deal maker and dedicated team player, Theo’s unwavering commitment to his client’s goals aid him in protecting their interests while advising on the risks inherent in any given deal. Theo is particularly well-versed in all areas of real estate law and development, particularly because practically every commercial transaction involves a real property component of some kind. If there is a way to make a deal work, Theo will find it and serve as a catalyst to bringing parties together to a successful closing. An innate “people person,” Theo truly enjoys getting to know and helping his clients achieve their goals. His calming presence, active listening skill and ability to problem solve throughout the negotiation process aid him in consistently closing transactions valued into the tens of millions of dollars.
A Main Line Today magazine “Top Lawyer” over multiple years, Theo has also been recognized as a leading attorney by Suburban Life magazine. Notably, Theo maintains a preeminent “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, recognizing his superior legal ability as judged by his peers. A Pennsylvania Super Lawyers “Rising Star” from 2010 through 2013, Theo was also deemed a “Lawyer on the Fast Track” by the Legal Intelligencer in 2010.
Dedicated to the community in which he lives and works, Theo presently serves as a board member of the Housing Authority of the County of Chester. He is also an active member of the Historic Commission for West Brandywine Township.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Planning & Organizations
- Business Transactions
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Transactions
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D. (1998)
- Villanova University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation (2003)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (1995)
- B.A., Sociology
- Minor, Philosophy
- Member, Shippensburg Rugby Club
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania (1998)
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2000)
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (2000)
- United States Tax Court (2000)
- United States Supreme Court (2002)
- Chester County Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Historical Committee Member
- Chester County Commercial Industrial Investment Council
- Home Builders Association of Chester and Delaware Counties
- National Home Builders Association
- Legal Action Committee Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Charitable Organizations Committee
- LLC Standard Forms Task Force (2008-2009)
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Real Estate Section Assistant Editor for the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Newsletter
- Pennsylvania Builders Association
- Bylaws Committee Member
- Western Chester County Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member (2009 – 2014)
- Government Affairs Committee
Martindale Hubbell Rating
- AV Rated*
*CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards. For more information, see http://www.martindale.com.